[postgis-users] Postgis upgrade

Mateusz Naskręt -GEOPOZ- mateusz.naskret at geopoz.poznan.pl
Thu May 21 03:51:09 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I have done and upgrade of Postgres (from 8.2.3 to 8.3.5) and Postgis
(from 1.2.1 to 1.3.5). Everything on SLES 11.
I do not know enything about spatial data - i am only server
administrator :)

In general upgrade is finished and everybody are working on it for few
days - and i do not have an information about problems.

But in log from upgrade ("Hard upgrade" from online documentation) i can
see few errors. Can anyone look to it and tell me if there can be
problems in feature ? Or maybe i can forget about it and eveyting will
be fine ?

    ERROR:  language "plpgsql" allready exist

    CREATE FUNCTION asgml(geometry, integer, integer) RETURNS text
      AS '$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.2', 'LWGEOM_asGML'
      LANGUAGE c IMMUTABLE STRICT;
    ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.2": No such
file or directory

    ALTER FUNCTION public.asgml(geometry, integer, integer) OWNER TO
postgres;
    ERROR:  function public.asgml(geometry, integer, integer) doesn't exist

      And similar  for functions:
          public.asukml(geometry, integer, integer)
          public.asukml(geometry, integer)
          public.asukml(geometry)
          public.st_pointn(geometry)

    ERROR:  cast from type pg_catalog.bool to type text allready exist

I have translated errors from polish so there can be a diffence to
english errors - but the meaning should be fine.
For me fist error is not important but what about rest ?

When i was looking to upgrade log file in every SQL like: "CREATE
FUNCTION" there is "AS '/usr/lib/liblwgeom', " instead of "AS
'$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.2'". Maybe some bug in upgrade script ?

Do you think it is good idea to copy SQLs creating this functions above
from .ascii file (temporary file created by upgrade script), replace
$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.2 with /usr/lib/liblwgeom and run SQL ?

I haven't done "cleaning" described in "Hard upgrade" in postgis
documentation. Is is important ? Are missing functions important ?

Thanks for any info or hint,

Mateusz Naskręt