[postgis-users] Postgis upgrade

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri May 22 02:37:10 PDT 2009

Ivan Mincik wrote:

> Also for me, it is more comfortable to do dump/restore upgrade. I have
> also some experience with problematic "hard" upgrades.
> Mark, which pg_dump/pg_restore options do You for dumping tables. Can
> You explain little bit "You way" ?
> How do You extract commands which create old version postgis fuctions ?
> Do You extract tables with "-t" options, so the resulting SQL is
> containing only  CREATE TABLE and INSERT commands?
>
> Ivan

Sure. Depending upon the amount of data/dump format I normally either:

1) pg_dump -t individual tables/sequences into individual files

or

2) Use pg_restore -L/-l options to remove all PostGIS functions from a
compressed format dump catalogue, then restore the remaining data into a
new database.

On my new machine I then create a brand new PostGIS database and then
simply restore any backup files into it. This guarantees that the SQL
definitions and the PostGIS shared library are always in sync.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk