[postgis-users] Display & Print Methods For PostGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun May 24 06:24:28 PDT 2009

Hi,

there are a lot of different options available.

Many GIS offer Postgis connectors and are scriptable (GRASS, QGIS
Server, GeoServer).

I personally would also experiment with SVG output. The AsSVG() output
allows you to convert Postgis geometry to SVG. You'd have to build the
SVG structure and styling around (using your preferred scripting or
programming language), but this is very easy. Once you have SVG you can
either display it directly in the Webbrowser (as SVG) or convert it to
PDF using tools like a XSL-FO converter, Apache Batik or Inkscape. The
SVG option is very flexible and gives you complete control over
everything. It may not be the easiest/fastest route, but it is also not
very complex and it is very flexible.

Andreas