[postgis-users] Choosing a database scheme for huge amount of points

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed May 27 09:43:14 PDT 2009

Alexander Cohagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following data in the system:
> 1. Points - retrieved from users GPS devices every 10 seconds. (x,y,z -
> lon,lat,alt)
> 2. timestamp for each point
>

> So my amount could potentially grow to:
> 1 day, 1 user = 8640 coordinates
> 1 day, 10 000 users = 8 640 000 coordinates
> A year, 10 000 users = 3 153 600 000
>
> How could i store such amount of data using postgis in the most
> effective way?

"effective" with respect to what? It might be "effective" to dump them
all into a table if you never need to access them. You have only define
one half of your problem. Lets say we have them all stored in the most
"effective" possible way, now what do you need to do with all these
points? How do you need to access them? what is the most common query
you will need to do? What is the most obscure query? what performance
criteria do you have? etc

-Steve