[postgis-users] Postgis and arcgis with data interoperability extension

Ragi Y. Burhum rburhum at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:39:46 PST 2009

> From: Thomas Jakubicka <crazyh at gmx.net>
> Subject: [postgis-users] Postgis and arcgis with data interoperability
>        extension
> To: <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to access my postgis/postgreSQL database through the
> datainteroperability extension and have problems with all my point data. I
> can load and export polygons but no points. The connection to the database
> works fine but when i try to load point data the attribute table is empty
> and only the header row is shown

That seems bizarre. FYI, ESRI provides their own implementation of a
Geometry type on PostgreSQL. You can also use PostGIS. My "psychic
debugging" skills tell me there is a chance you may be mixing the two?

Also, did you load the PostGIS functions as described in the documentation
for the database you are working with *before* loading the data?

> I also tried to access the database through an OLE DB connection witch is
> working so far that I get access to all tables stored in the database but
> still can not show the spatial information. With this connection all
> datasets are shown with the table-symbol and the geometry field stays
> empty.

This is how the ESRI OLE DB provider works - it doesn't load and spatial
information. Anything you load from there will be "just a table"

> We are using the Postgis/PostgreSQL version 8.3 and ArcEditor 9.3.1
>
> Thanks for your help

The best thing I could recommend to you now is to do some logging from the
PostgreSQL side of things. See what SQL is being executed during the load
and it should show you your problem right away.

Hope this helps,

- Ragi