[postgis-users] identifying blank geometry fields

Bob Hume bobh at lbblawyers.com
Mon Nov 23 21:49:56 PST 2009

select count(*) from dum where the_geom is null  gives a result of 0

select count(the_geom) from dum gives a result is 1676, which is the
total number of rows in the table

This is consistent with my previous description.  The apparently blank
the_geom fields apparently have some data, but the data doesn't
display.  This seems odd, and makes it difficult (impossible for me, so
far) to identify the blank fields.

(Sorry this seems to be a duplicate.   I couldn't figure out how to
reply to a message in a thread and assumed the mail program would figure
it out.  It didn't.  Just for the heck of it I clicked on the name of
the person I was replying to with the idea that I'd send a message
directly to him, and a mail window opened to send a message to the
list.  Who knew?  I searched, and couldn't find any information
explaining this.)