[postgis-users] PostGIS vs Oracle Spatial/MS SQL2008

Bruce Foster gis.foster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:15:54 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm in middle of making a decision for a client of mine, where I'm
inclined to PostGIS.

Now to convince the client, I really need to show the value that out
weight Oracle Spatial and MS SQL2008. We are not talking cost here, so
that option is not considered.

I searched for some comparison on net but not much to my delight. So,
let me ask the user community and I really hope to get some
interesting facts about PostGIS so I can hold to my thesis with the
customer.

a. Read somewhere on Topology. Hope someone throw more light on this.
b. Versioning, which is not available in Postgres

On a related note, can we edit directly on PostGIS using MapInfo,
ArcGIS Desktop, AutoCad Map3D etc.

uDIG, QGIS allow direct connectivity to PostGIS, hope they allow
direct file editing too.

--
Thanks

Bruce