[postgis-users] Or don't install postgis on a different schema!!

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu Nov 26 02:07:30 PST 2009

Arrgh! it was so likely to happen that Murphy would be proud,

On 26/11/2009, at 12:14 , Ben Madin wrote:

> create schema postgis;
>
> set search_path postgis, other schemas;
>
> \i postgis.sql -- or you could set the search_path in the postgis_sql file - there used to be some problems here with schema qualified table / functions names in the postgis.sql, but I think they are mainly gone now.

So I come back from lunch, and realise that tables I have dumped and imported across databases (so -Ox no owner, no priviliges) neither seem to dump with any constraints,

no worries I think, use populate_geometry_columns();

prices=# select populate_geometry_columns('gms.road'::regclass);
ERROR:  function public.srid(geometry) does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT public.srid(the_geom)
              ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
QUERY:  SELECT public.srid(the_geom)
	             FROM ONLY gms.road
	             WHERE the_geom IS NOT NULL LIMIT 1
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "populate_geometry_columns" line 54 at EXECUTE statement

Whoops!

Is this required to be in the public schema? I have gone around it by unqualifying the functions, is there any reason to have them qualified?

cheers

Ben

--

Ben Madin