[postgis-users] PostGIS vs Oracle Spatial/MS SQL2008

Nathan Widmyer lighthousej at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 07:28:20 PST 2009

Hello,

I was involved in the same sort of decision about 9 months ago.

Generally what we found was that Oracle Spatial supported a basic set
of functions so they can check that features box in sales brochures
saying "yes, we do geospatial stuff", but you have to do it Oracle's
way.
OTOH, PostGIS was much more feature-filled and adheres to standards,
plus has all of the benefits of PostgreSQL, which was a plus for us
for other reasons.  Having PostGIS has opened doors to WMS, WFS and
other OGC services so we can use other services without being locked
into Oracle.

I have used and administered Oracle (I'm not a certified DBA) and it
was quite a handful.  Note I did not use Oracle Spatial at the time,
but I'm speaking in general terms.  Spending about the same time with
PostgreSQL/PostGIS, it's much easier to work with, smaller, and more
agile.

Nate