[postgis-users] Length of Bigint, Double and Text fields

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Mon Nov 30 04:07:33 PST 2009

Dear PostGIS devels,

since we right in the middle of comparing interoperability of shape
files between some FOSS programs and ArcGIS, we encoutered also the
following:

gvSIG chokes on the Bigint as produced by pgsql2shp. Looking at ArcGIs
generated files, the max length for numbers is 19, compared to 20 for
integers and 32 for floating points as in pgsql2shp. This seems to be
confirmed by some Borland tools, when configured for dBase III+.

Another limit seems to be that of text fields, that must be no longer
then 254. This is the maximum as given by ArcGIS and by the Borland tool.

Another point is Boolean: ArcGIS seems to not allow the creation of
boolean fields and the Borland Tool ("Database Desktop") says that
Booleans have a length of 1.

Regards,

Peter

--