[postgis-users] Live access to PostGIS from MapInfo

InterRob rob.marjot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 02:06:33 PDT 2009

Dear all,
I hope some of you have experience with accessing PostGIS from MapInfo: I
have some problems connecting to a spatial table residing in my
PostGIS-enabled PostgreSQL database.

What I did is the following:

1. created a dummy database and loaded postgis.sql (v. 1.4) into it
2. within this database I created a MapInfo MapCatalog using EasyLoader
3. Then, I uploaded a small map (560 records) into the database, done in 3
secs :)

So far, no errors.

Lastly, I opened the table by clicking the "Open DBMS Table" button and
whished to use the table in "Live Access" mode. When doing so, MapInfo
produces the following error:
"Unable to translate the Spatial Constraint."
In case I check "Cache", MapInfo adds to this message: "File #nnnn not open
for access."

What does this mean? And more importantly: how to fix this? By the way:

By the way: does any of you have any experience with "Live Access"-ing a
VIEW on a spatially enabled PostGIS table from MapInfo? In PostgreSQL no
such thing as a *indexed view* exists, so will MapInfo be able to open such
a VIEW?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rob