[postgis-users] PostGIS to calculate time spent within polygon

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 20:19:37 PDT 2009

You can select the interval between minimun and maximum timestamp outside
each polygon. Interpolate to get a value "when entering" the polygon
(intersection between line and polygon) and when leaving.

Then you can subtract both values to get an estimate of time.

You probably can write a simple function for this.

George

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Masanao Yajima <yajiyajijp at yahoo.co.jp>wrote:

> Thank you for your response.
>
> However, would it be possible to elaborate on the 2nd part?
> If my reading of the manual is correct,
> I believe st_intersection is not implemented to handle the 4th dimension.
>
> Masanao Yajima
>
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Suhr, Ralf <Ralf.Suhr at itc-halle.de> wrote:
>
>>  Hello Masanao Yajima,
>>

>> for db-design you can go with ogr2ogr (GPX -> PostGIS). Ogr2ogr creates
>> point and line geometrys from gpx files. In case of linestring you have to
>> add the 4. Dimension from the point table.
>>
>> A optimal query would be the intersection from gps-linestrings and your
>> polygon area. The result can be many sublinestrings with start and end time.
>>

>> Gr Ralf

George R. C. Silva

Desenvolvimento em GIS
www.sextantegeo2.blogspot.com