[postgis-users] Live access to PostGIS from MapInfo

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:11:00 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM, InterRob <rob.marjot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion; again something I did not think of (!)...
> So I tried some really 'easy' little datasets; points with some INT
> attributes. Still no luck, though...
> It seems that MapInfo v10 is not compatible with PostGIS 1.4.0. This makes
> me wondering, having the error message in mind ("Unable to translate the
> Spatial Constraint."): is this spatial constraint expressed differently in
> PostGIS 1.4.0 , comparing it to, say, 1.3.5? One could even think of even
> very small differences like capitals in functions e.g. st_srid() versus
> ST_srID() etc. etc. At least success has been reported (by some other users,
> like you Richard) of working with PostGIS (1.3.5 or lower) from MapInfo...

Okay, I just installed Postgres 8.4 and PostGIS 1.4 and uploaded my
test table via Easyloader, and then connected to it with un-cached
Live access and it seems to be working for me. The spatial constraint
that MapInfo is imposing on my table is:
   st_srid("SP_GEOMETRY") = (-1)
What's your spatial constrain? What happens if you drop it?

This thread might be valuable on MapInfo-L as I think the issues are
more with MI than PostGIS.

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com