[postgis-users] Interoperability : SERIAL or Explicit Sequence

F T oukile at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 01:03:07 PDT 2009

Hello,

I would like to design a Postgresql / Postgis database that would be the
most interoperable as possible.
The spatial tables could be used by (Select, Insert, Update, Delete) :
- a Web GIS (Mapserver, geoserver, ...)
- commercial clients (Geoconcept, Mapinfo, FME, ESRI)
- Opensource clients (QGIS, GvSIG, ...).
Great dream Isn't it? ...

I know that some of these "soft" need to a numeric unique key (Mapserver for
example don't deal with character keys...).
I know OID are depreciated.

I think is would be a good idea to add a unique numeric key to all my
tables.
What is the best way to do that?

   - Add a SERIAL field (but it is PostgreSQL spécific?).
   - Add a numeric field explicitely managed by an associated sequence (it
does the same but seems more opened?).

So SERIAL or EXPLICIT SEQUENCE?

Thanks for your responses

Fabrice