[postgis-users] Problem building PostGIS 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 9.04 (missing pgxs.mk)

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Oct 30 08:43:22 PDT 2009

Tyler Erickson wrote:

> I'm having problems building PostGIS 1.4.0 on Ubuntu 9.04 (a new install).
> At the configure step for building PostGIS I get the following error:
>
> configure: error: the PGXS Makefile
> /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk cannot be found.
> Please install the PostgreSQL server development packages and re-run
> configure.
>
> pg_config reports the (supposed) location of the pgxs.mk file, but no file
> was actually installed there during the PostgreSQL install...
>
> root at vb-ubuntu-serva:/home/tylere/src/postgis/postgis-1.4.0# pg_config
> --pgxs
> /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
> root at vb-ubuntu-serva:/home/tylere/src/postgis/postgis-1.4.0# ls $(pg_config
> --pgxs)
> ls: cannot access /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk: No
> such file or directory
>
> I have included the PostGIS ./configure output and the bash script I use to
> build the libraries below.
>
> Is this a bug with the PostgreSQL installer?  Is there a way to get around
> this by modifying the configure script for PostGIS?
>
> - Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Nope, it's just that Debian (and derivatives) supply a skeleton
pg_config file with the default PostgreSQL installation which doesn't
contain the files required for building PostgreSQL modules.

Installing the postgresql-server-dev package should resolve this.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk