[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] Sphere or Spheroid

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Oct 30 17:16:06 PDT 2009

My 02c,

The simplest invocation generates the simplest/fastest result. A more complex invocation (specifying spheroid) generates a more accurate/complex/slower result.

I'm not sure I really understand the question, as a query:
ST_distance(g,g) returns a sphere based result, while
ST_distance(g,g,spheroid) returns an spheroidal result.

I think my preferred approach for this would be;

If users can pre-set a default spheroid to use, then ST_distance(g,g) is still spherical, but ST_distance(g,g,'default') uses the selected default spheroid, otherwise the spheroid must be specified explicitly.

So a spheroidal calculation is only applied when a spheroid is explicitly supplied in the function, otherwise use a spherical calculation.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood