[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] Sphere or Spheroid

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Oct 30 17:48:36 PDT 2009

Some questions:

Which spheroid is used by default?  (I commonly use 3 different ones)

Does the geography datatype require a SRID (or spheroid?) to be specified, and reject a null one? (I'm not familiar with the geography implementation details)

If there is no default spheroid available does ST_Distance() then fail unless it is explicitly told to use spherical?

As I see it, the issue is less about providing the right (or best) answer by default, & more about protecting users from their ignorance.

I'm a bit cautious about making assumptions about which spheroid should be applied by default for users who do not fully understand the issues.

As long as the issue is well covered in the documentation, and both spherical & spheroidal versions are available, I don't have a strong preference either way.

Cheers,

 Brent