[postgis-users] cursor

Alexander Strunck A.Strunck at gmx.net
Fri Sep 11 02:49:07 PDT 2009

Hello

i am an newby and i am trying to make a contains query. the problem is that my tables are to big to pull the query in one (248000 polygon and 105000 points).
my original query:
create table osm_in_50 as SELECT gr.gid, gr.name, gr.feattyp, b.id
FROM buffer_50 AS gr, osm_poi AS b
WHERE Contains ( gr.setsrid, b.geom_900913 ) = TRUE;

i tried to construct a cursor for this and it worked on a small table but for the big one it doesnt seem to work. it was running for allmost 12 hoers:
declare my_cursor cursor for select * from buffer_50;
FETCH FORWARD 1000 FROM my_cursor;
declare my_cursor2 cursor for select *from osm_poi;
FETCH FORWARD 1000 FROM my_cursor2;
create table osm_in_50 as SELECT gr.gid, gr.name, gr.feattyp, b.id
FROM buffer_50 AS gr, osm_poi AS b
WHERE Contains ( gr.setsrid, b.geom_900913 ) = TRUE;
close my_cursor2;
close my_cursor;

can someone please help me!

alex