[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.4 install troubles

benton101 Ben.Davies at dec.wa.gov.au
Sat Sep 12 02:36:42 PDT 2009

OS - Ubuntu 9.04 - (installed from a distro from a mag)
DB - PostgreSQL 8.4 - (installed from a binary package from the official
site)

Hi,
I am attempting to install PostGIS 1.4.0 using the install instructions
provided by the developers. As a new user to ubuntu I am not really
confident in what I am doing and these are the steps I have used so far;

GEOS -----------------------------------------------------------------
cd geos-3.1.1
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..

PROJ.4 ---------------------------------------------------------------
tar xzf proj-4.6.1.tar.gz
cd proj-4.6.1/nad
tar xzf ../../proj-datumgrid-1.4.tar.gz
cd ..
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..

PostGIS --------------------------------------------------------------
tar xzf postgis-1.4.0.tar.gz
cd postgis-1.4.0
./configure --with-pgconfig=/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_config
--with-geosconfig=/usr/bin/geos-config
--with-projdir=/home/benton/proj-4.6.1
make
sudo make install
cd ..

Create a spatially-enabled database ----------------------------------
sudo su - postgres
createdb template_test
createlang plpgsql template_test

Everything at this point seems to be OK and then when I attempt to follow
these instructions
psql -d template_test -f
/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/share/postgresql/contrib/postgis.sql

This is the last couple of lines for the command run above ...

psql:/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/share/postgresql/contrib/postgis.sql:6927: ERROR:
current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction
block
ROLLBACK

Would anyone know what could be the problem here?
Or better would there be some easier way of getting this installed on my
machine that the way I am doing it at the moment?
Thank You
Ben