[postgis-users] HARD or SOFT upgrade - documentation questions.

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Sep 13 18:00:40 PDT 2009

Ben,

Sorry about that.  The  upgrade section of the docs does need sufficient
revamp.  But been putting it of since we've been working on revamping this
process.

The short answer -- Hard upgrade really doesn't have anything to do with
PostgreSQL version upgrade.  AS long as you have the same version of PostGIS
in your new install as you did in your old install.  Hard upgrade doesn't
come into play.

In the past -- it was kind of iffy when you needed to do a Hard upgrade vs.
a soft upgrade.

Moving forward -- a hard upgrade is only needed if you are moving from major
to major version (e.g. from a 1.3 --> 2.0)
Soft upgrade -- 1.3 ->1.4  , 1.3->1.5 etc.

>From 1.2 its kind of iffy -- you really should do a hard upgrade (or manual
massaging if you know what you are doing) since aggregate functions don't
carry over.

Hope that answers your question,
Regina

  _____