[postgis-users] PostgreSQL 8.3.8 and 8.4.1 out

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 02:53:53 PDT 2009

P Kishor wrote:

> I have PostGIS 1.4/PostGres 8.4. What is the recommended way of
> upgrading this combo? Do I have to recompile PostGres and then PostGIS
> again? Do I have to rebuild my databases? Is there a
> tutorial/knowledgebase article on the various upgrade paths possible?

As of PostGIS 1.4, you can now upgrade both PostgreSQL and PostGIS to
the latest X.Y.A to X.Y.B without running any upgrade scripts. So you
can simply recompile and re-install PostgreSQL, restart the server and
everything should just work as before, with the benefit that you have
any additional bug fixes included.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS