[postgis-users] Union and Intersection of Polygon layers

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Sep 21 16:04:03 PDT 2009

Union is trivial. Here's a query that generates a new set of polygons
dissolved based on an attribute value:

create table newtable as select st_union(the_geom), attribute group by
attribute;

Overlay is non-trivial, and I leave that to someone else to provide
good SQL. The simple case of finding all the overlapping parts is
easy, but filling in the non-overlapping parts is harder.