[postgis-users] outgrowing the standard Pg install

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 23:21:23 PDT 2010

If my database grows beyond what is available on PostGIS/Pg computer,
what are my options? Can I add more drives to the computer and have
part of the database on one disk and another part on another disk? Or,
do I have to plan ahead, chop up my database into disk-sized chunks,
and install each chunk on separate machines? Here is an illustration
--

computer 1: Single disk, 1 TB space available, PGDATA in /usr/local/pgsql/data

database is going to 5 TB eventually. I start on computer 1, when that
is filling up, I add external disks, so Postgres can just write
spillover from /usr/local/pgsql/data to /external/pgsql/data (is this
even possible?)

OR

computer 1: 1 TB space
computer 2: 1 TB space
.. and so on

I divide my database into 1 TB chunks, install five instances of
PostGres/PostGIS on the five computers (what a nightmare)

--
Puneet Kishor