[postgis-users] Conversion from undefined geometry to geography?

Nicholas Bower nick at petangent.net
Tue Apr 13 20:47:20 PDT 2010

We have some tables in which we've used Geometry to store polygon and point
lan/lon (srid = -1).  We embarked on this before PostGIS 1.5.x's spherical
Geography objects.

Now we intend to upgrade and migrate these to new Geography types (eg new
geography col, copy/convert, drop original geometry col).

Is there an existing function that provides a conversion from Geometry to
Geography that could be used in a simple table update?  This doesn't give
away too many clues what will happen when given a geometry with srid = -1
for example:

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/geography.html

TIA.