[postgis-users] ST_Buffer questions

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu Apr 15 06:22:31 PDT 2010

To look up an appropriate projection, you have a number of options:

Easy : http://www.spatialreference.org/

Sort of easy : SELECT srid, srtext FROM spatial_ref_sys WHERE srtext LIKE '%GDA94%'; -- To find something containing Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994

But Australia is a big country, so it depends where in Australia you are - and how accurate you want to be.

In Western Australia you might get away with just using epsg:28350, but you could choose better for Macquarie Island 28356?

If you are going globally you might want to just use normal UTM Zones (WGS84). The South ones all start with 327_ _... ie Western Australia would be 32750. The North ones start with 326_ _.

Good luck - look at the website above.

cheers

Ben