[postgis-users] Bug in postgis installation on WinServer2008-64bitþ

john lace johnlace65 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 23 20:22:32 PDT 2010

Thanks for your reply.

Here are the details you request.

Yes, the password was the same for both 'postgres' accounts, even when the same postgres install recommends not to, I always do that to avoid the confusion you mention.

The pg_hab.conf also confused me, but yes, I restarted the apache server several times, lots of times, I even restarted the whole computer 3 times.   And going with pgAdmin before installing postgis, I could sign into the database without a password, or with any password.  So yes, this is what it was doing even when pg_hba.conf said 'trust',   I'm positive.

Yes, the % could be the problem.     Even when the password I used was not exactly what I wrote here, it has the same non-alphabethic chars I included in my original post.    $ % &.    A escape problem might be the very first thing to try, please check these 3 chars first.

I'm not really sure if it was winserver2008 R2 or not, and now I can't confirm that.  Sorry.  But it is 64 bits.    And the machine is brand new, less than a month old.   Maybe you haven't had any problem because you have never used the offending char(s)  in your passwords?

By the way, I have installed postgis on CentOS, winXP SP2, SP3, winServer2003, win7 64 bits, and now server2008-64, and this is the first problem I have really encountered with it.  Good job.

Hope you find the problem quickly.

John Lace