[postgis-users] How to setup a versioned datastore?

Mauricio Miranda mmiranda at xoomcode.com
Tue Aug 3 07:39:54 PDT 2010

Hi Dominik,

The way we use to manage data versioning is:

* Add "created_at" and "updated_at" columns
* Create triggers to update automatically these columns on insert and update statements.

I think this a common process in any kind of data structure.

If you don't want to update (replace) the original data you can copy the record to another table adding a foreign key to the main table record.

That could be done inside the trigger function.

I hope it helps.

Cheers!

--
Mauricio Miranda