[postgis-users] Search Engine

Ricardo Bayley ricardo.bayley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:33:19 PDT 2010

Hi fellows,

I am creating a search engine for my spatial data.
And I am thinking of the best approach.

My idea is to have a full text search (tsvector) coulmn for every table.
Instead of performing a search on every table, I have thought of a few
options

1. "Merge" all tables into one, regardless of their geometry type.
2. Use PostgreSQL goodies such as table Inheritance to split geometry types.
(not sure if it would be of any good)
3. Create a table to store table oid, gid and full text search data of every
table in my system, and query this table instead. This should be harder to
maintain, since it should be done through triggers and rules.

Hope I explained it clearly.

By the way, at start I only have 20 tables, with not more than 500k rows
total. So it is not much, but this should grow considerably.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this ?

Looking foward to hearing from you.

Ricardo