[postgis-users] postgres data tables package (ORACLE Forms replacement?)

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 07:36:26 PDT 2010

Hi John,

For the desktop, the best I've seen is MS Access, but it is certainly not
FOSS. It is well used, documented, supported, easy form development, etc. A
runner up is OpenOffice.org, but I haven't been able to develop too much on
it, because I run into odd GUI behaviours that are deal-breakers (e.g., the
scroll-wheel of the mouse can "accentually" modify numeric data if it hovers
over a numeric field ... although this is in the process of being fixed).
Kexi (from KOffice) is yet another app, but I haven't looked at it in a few
years and I don't know if it is available for Windows anymore.

For the web, there is WaveMaker, which is very web 2.0 with lots of
JavaScript to make it appear like a desktop application. I've only had
limited work with it, so I can't say too much about it. (I recall having a
poor impression due to problems with bad permission assumptions and some
other data type issues). There are others out there, but I'm interested to
see what other people use.

-Mike