[postgis-users] postgres data tables package (ORACLE Formsreplacement?)

Randall, Eric ERandall at eriecountygov.org
Thu Aug 5 09:59:40 PDT 2010

John,

For the web solution I use WaveMaker with but haven't done anything too fancy with it yet. http://www.wavemaker.com/
SQL Workbench might be another option.  http://www.sql-workbench.net/

Eric

Eric Randall
GIS DB Admin/Analyst
County of Erie
140 W 6th St
Room 111
Erie, PA 16501

ph. 814-451-6063
fx. 814-451-7000

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net [mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net]On Behalf Of John Callahan
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:54 AM
To: PostGIS Users Discussion
Subject: [postgis-users] postgres data tables package (ORACLE Formsreplacement?)

Brief background: We're currently using Oracle for our main database.  Nothing too big, 15 - 20 tables and the largest table has about 100K records.   We use Oracle Forms as a web-based option for inserting and updating records.

I am using Postgres/PostGIS for a couple of other projects.  I would like to use Postgres for our main database as well.  However, I would need to come up with a solution for inserting/updating the data tables within our group (a replacement for Oracle Forms).  Preferably, a web-based solution (PHP, Python, etc...) but it could be a Windows desktop solution installed on each staff members machine.  Something that maintains the data integrity (e.g., forcing users to enter a date when Date is required, etc...)

Does anyone know of a FOSS package that can be used to manage data tables within a Postgres database?   Updating data records is the highest priority since the built-in Admin tool can be used for managing users, creating new tables, etc..., and will be done only by a database manager.  Thanks for any advice or guidance you can provide.

- John