[postgis-users] Convert already loaded table into a spatial table (points)

Appel, Tony tony.appel at navteq.com
Thu Aug 12 10:53:54 PDT 2010

I have already loaded a table that contains X, Y and Z values. AT the time of loading it was thought we did not need a spatial component to this table.

Now we realize that we do have a need but do not want to reload the 190 million records again and create the point features on load.

Is it possible to create the point geometry in the existing table....if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Appel

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.