[postgis-users] Problem cleaning invalid geometries

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 10:07:36 PDT 2010

>I am not sure what you are trying to say with this, but the geometry
>that I am trying to clean is a multipolygon, not a collection.  Yes, it
>is very big and has many points in the multipolygon, since it is the
>Baffin region, but it is not a collection.  ST_geometrytype returns
>multipolygon for it.

There are many possibly kind of invalidity.

If the invalidity is a self-intersect,
of course the ST_MakeValid() could split the polygon on the self-intersect
and produce another multipolygon with one more part.

But if , for example, you multipolygon is invalid because it has a hole of
type Linestring, or because it has two part that are touching along a line.

More probably the st_makevalid could be return a geometrycollection().

--
Andrea Peri