[postgis-users] USGS NED Dataset

Ron M rm_postgis at cheapcomplexdevices.com
Fri Aug 20 09:50:14 PDT 2010

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
>> Thanks! that is exactly what I needed to know. I'm in the painful
>> process of downloading the NED data from there seamless download
>> application - I can not tell you how frustrating these stupid apps are.
>> Just give me a simple ftp site and wget would be so much easier for the
>> users.
>
> Sure would be nice of someone to put up the data set on an FTP (or, even
> better, easily wget'd HTTP) site once they've pulled it from the USGS
> site... :)

Or at that size, perhaps bittorrent.

Or, another potential place -- an Amazon Web Service Public Data Set:
   http://aws.amazon.com/publicdatasets/
"Public Data Sets on AWS provides a centralized repository of
public data sets that can be seamlessly integrated into AWS
cloud-based applications. AWS is hosting the public data sets
at no charge for the community"

I find their pre-loaded PostGIS open-street-map and 2008 TIGER/LINE
data extremely convenient:
   http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=275