[postgis-users] Very slow intersection

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at vti.bund.de
Thu Dec 2 06:05:08 PST 2010

  Hi Ted,

I am not sure if this would help very much, but I always make an inner
join on the bounding boxes of the geometries (as a sort of filter), like
this:

create table countyShp as select cty.gid,
st_intersection(cty.the_geom,cst.the_geom) as the_geom from
countyShpWideBound as cty inner join uscoast as cst on cty.the_geom &&
cst.the_geom where st_intersects(cty.the_geom,cst.the_geom);

Are you sure, you have a gist-index on your geometries?

But, with tables with more than 500000 rows, I get comparable run times
like you.

Regards,

Birgit.