[postgis-users] Best Practices for Custom SRID/proj4text

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Sat Dec 4 23:59:25 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Lee Hachadoorian <
Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com <Lee.Hachadoorian%2BL at gmail.com>> wrote:

> I need to add an SRID for a custom projection (specifically a Lambert
> Conformal Conic used by New York City Dept of City Planning for their
> publicly available geographic data). Does everyone just start numbering
> from 1 in their local database, or are there any guidelines or does
> anyone have any tips for assigning numbers?
>

>From the EPSG docs:

The OGP Geodesy Subcommittee has reserved the integer range 0 to 32767 for
> use as codes. As of dataset version 6.3, the integer range from 6,000,000 to
> 6,999,999 was also reserved for codes for geographic CRSs in explicitly
> described degree representations, but this is no longer supported. To
> prevent conflict with future additions to the EPSG dataset, users who wish
> to augment the data with their own information should utilise codes greater
> than 32768.

We started at 800,000 iirc.

If there's a reasonable amount of data using the production, submit the
documentation to EPSG and it should be officially included in the next
release, they're pretty open to receiving new projections.

Rob :)