[postgis-users] import shape or sql to postgres automatically

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 02:18:18 PST 2010

zhang zhe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks. Actually, I have windows and apache server installed in my
> computer. In this case how the code should look like?
> What´s the mylinuxserver ? is it the IP adress of the server? or name of
> the server?
>
> Will my code changed into
> psql.exe -h mywindowsServer -d postgres -U zhe -f c:/users/sqlfile.sql

You can, but I would highly recommend that you read the psql.exe
documentation at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-psql.html which
should answer all your questions.

In particular, the postgres database is an in-built database designed
for maintenance and shouldn't be used to store user data.

> Can I write this code to php?

Indeed - you'll need to look at the exec() function. Don't forget to
escape your shell characters for security.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk