[postgis-users] Validating geomatries against a coordinate system

Mario T. de Sales mts at dhigroup.com
Thu Dec 16 00:32:31 PST 2010

Hi,

In our project using PostGIS we need to import some shape files into PostGIS. Some of these shape files have no corresponding .prj file and thus we ask the user to specify the coordinate system for the shape file.

If the user specifies a wrong coordinate system, projecting data will not work correctly and PostGIS may throw errors.

Is there an easy way to check whether the geometry coordinates are within a "valid" extent for the coordinate system?

Thanks for any help