[postgis-users] Traverse set distance along a multiline?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Dec 26 22:22:18 PST 2010

You need to do your analysis in a projected coordinate system, not geographics.

CREATE TABLE my_new_texas_roads AS
SELECT ST_Transform(the_geom, 3081) as the_geom, other_attributes
FROM texas_roads;

EPSG:3081 should be a good coordinate system for working with your Texas data.

 http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/3081/

Not that the units are meters, so perform the appropriate linear
transformations when looking for mile markers.

Paul