[postgis-users] Should spatial_ref_sys.srid not be auto increment?

Ben Harper ben at imqs.co.za
Mon Jan 11 01:38:15 PST 2010

What you say is true - people should use globally consistent means of naming their coordinate systems, but I end up with a lot of data that has little or no coordinate information, and often one ends up having to make an educated guess, for example that the data is projected tmerc lon0=29. And you know little more than that. By the time this data reaches me, I have no choice but to make up an arbitrary coordinate system for it and get it into a PostGIS DB.

Ideally, I would like to go back to the original source, educate the people about coordinate systems, and get them to manage this stuff properly, but that's just not feasible.

As far as I understand, a SRID in a PostGIS DB is not intended to be globally unique. I know the standard PostGIS spatial_ref_sys table is populated such that the SRID and the EPSG codes are identical, but this is not a requirement. In fact, one could argue that they should intentionally be different, to prevent people mistaking one for the other.

Anyway, the status quo is OK for me. Just wanted to voice the issue.

Ben H