[postgis-users] functions using index

Andreas Brandl ml at 3.141592654.de
Fri Jan 15 17:27:13 PST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm evaluating features of different spatial databases as part of my bachelor thesis. My comparison includes PostGIS, DB2 spatial extender and MS SQL-Server.

I'm looking for an overview listing those PostGIS functions using the spatial index. The other DBMS documentations state exactly which functions do use an index, which I miss in the PostGIS documentation.

Is it right to say that - from the set of OGC topology/measurement functions - the following are using the index?

Equals, Intersects, Touches, Crosses, Within, Contains, Overlaps

And not: Distance, Disjoint, Relate? (This in fact is stated in the docs [1]).

Thanks!

Regards,
Andreas

[1] http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id2717971