[postgis-users] strange benchmark results

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 09:18:01 PST 2010

Andreas Brandl wrote:

> There are now results for PostGIS 1.4.1 with GEOS 3.2.0 on Windows XP. The effect does also show up here and also affects some other queries (labeled Equals and Union) which were not affected before (on PostGIS 1.4.0 on different platforms).
>
> The whole report on this topic may be retrieved at [1,2]. Newly affected cases go to the bottom of the table. The new result on postgis 1.4.1 is on the left side.
>
> Mark, is it worth filing a bug on this topic? Is there anything else I may provide?

As I mentioned before, I think it's something that's worth raising on
the pgsql-performance list to see if other people have experienced
similar results. The slight downside I can see is that the use of
PostGIS may put off some people participating in the discussion; however
if they are interested enough, they can point you towards creating tests
that don't rely on PostGIS to see if they demonstrate the same effect as
you have obviously found an issue somewhere. But I still think it's work
asking and posting your results there as you have done here.

Thanks again for your work on this, it has been very interesting to
follow your work as presented on your web pages.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk