[postgis-users] *.gdbtable, etc

Ragi Y. Burhum rburhum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:16:10 PST 2010

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:17:53 -0800
> From: FW <forkandwait at gmail.com>
> Subject: [postgis-users] *.gdbtable, etc
> To: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
>
> Is anybody working on a way to import data from <insert monopolistic
> GIS company name here>'s latest attempt to create vendor lock in via
> another useless file format, otherwise known as the personal
> geodatabase?
>
> I have a bunch of these files I would like to stuff into Postgis, and
> can't find a conversion tool.
>
> Thanks!
> (Grr....)

That's a FileGDB not (Access is Personal GeoDatabase). If you have an ArcGIS
Arcview license (big "if" around this part of town ;-p ), you should be able
to use ogr2ogr with the trunk version pretty soon. I submitted a patch
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3332 that will be committed by one of the
GDAL committers at some point. I was thinking about creating a release
windows dll and putting it out there in case anyone needed it. Let me know
if this would be useful for you and I would be happy to produce one. For the
*nix build, I would need to get the ArcGIS SDK, and I am sure someone else
can pick you that work.

Best Regards,

- Ragi Burhum