[postgis-users] *.gdbtable, etc

Mike Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Fri Jan 29 11:04:53 PST 2010

FW wrote:
> To sum up, if I can do the reverse engineering and write a converter,
> I am welcome to go for it ;)

ESRI had promised to open up the specifications on File GDBs when they
released the format in 9.2. I'm not sure if it would be similar to the
open specification white paper they have for Shapefiles. They have been
pushing it off for a few versions, but the rumor is that an XML schema
and "open" API will be released with Arc-whatever 10.0 in mid-2010.

http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?fuseaction=answer&conferenceId=2A8E2713-1422-2418-7F20BB7C186B5B83&questionId=2578
<http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?fuseaction=answer&conferenceId=2A8E2713-1422-2418-7F20BB7C186B5B83&questionId=2578>

Don't hold your breath, as they have promised this before, only to hold
back another release. Furthermore, the "openness" of the API is unknown.

-Mike