[postgis-users] No index usage on geography query plan?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue Jun 1 08:44:22 PDT 2010

Bounding cube you mean? Could do. The problem with that is, it turns
out that computing the bounding cube is actually the most
computationally intensive part of the geography code! So we don't
really want to do that for every edge of a shape. My approach is to
use "bounding circles" for each edge. I haven't given any thought to
whether they would be useful in the large for disk-based indexes (and
we have, in any event, a perfectly workable bounding cube
implementation), but for the in-memory problem they seem to make
sense.

P.