[postgis-users] Nested loop join = very bad performance

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Mar 28 08:57:01 PDT 2010

Hello list,

Following up from the bug that was successfully resolved last week
(http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/469), I've found that nested loop joins
are actually causing very bad performance with my queries.

Thanks to the observations of Leo and Regina in that discussion, I have found
that I can work around this by setting enable_nestloop = off.  Once that is
specified, queries start working about as fast.  With enable_nestloop = on, a
query may take ~15000 ms, while enable_nestloop = off returns the same query in
~90 ms.

I have attached a textfile showing the different 'explain analzye' results for
the full query with/without nestloop enabled.  You could also refer to the
somewhat simplified queries I put together in discussion thread related to bug
#469 (see http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2010-
March/026235.html for some examples).

Is this something that should be looked into, or should I just incorporate the
workaround of disabling nested loop joins into my code?

Thanks,
Mike