[postgis-users] Polygon validity

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 23:16:03 PDT 2010

>with two duplicate nodes. When I try to check it with ST_IsValidReason
>function I get message
>that it is Valid Geometry. Is this OGC compliant? When I try to check
>it with QGIS, ArcView or
>ArcGIS - I get notice about self intersection. Please explain this situation.

Hi,

give my explain...

The selfintersect is an invalidity for OGC because OGC use the
simple-feature model.

Postgis actually not limit only to the simple-feature model the ST_IsValid.
(even if other postgis functions are simple-feature only)

Another think to understand is that the OCG-simple-feature model actually is
only 2D and don't know the 3D dimension.

So is quite difficult limit the ST_IsValid only to the simple-fature model.

--
Andrea Peri