[postgis-users] Nested loop join = very bad performance

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 01:40:09 PDT 2010

Mike Leahy wrote:

> Mark/List,
>
> I just replaced my postgresql.conf with the default copy that appears in
> /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/ after a fresh install.  The performance is pretty
> much the same as before (maybe even about 400 ms worse than before).
>
> Is there anything else I should try?
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Which parameters did you change? effective_cache_size and shared_buffers
should be tweaked to suit the RAM available in your machine but the rest
of the defaults are fairly sensible.

You probably want to set effective_cache_size to ~75% of your physical
RAM and shared_buffers to ~25%. Does that make any difference at all?

Otherwise, you'll need to start breaking down your query into parts to
see which bit is causing the slowdown. Start with the innermost query
and then add one join at a time until you find the part which is causing
the slowdown.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS