[postgis-users] Dot Density idea

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Thu May 6 10:33:27 PDT 2010

Using St_SnapToGrid is a way to do it. A simple algorithm could calculate
the ideal distance between points depending on the number of resulting
points and then just place them in correct place.

The way to do it is to inform attribute and the value of each dot. On the
same note, a proportional symbols representation could be done, but that can
be very tricky, since building the actual circles could give you extensive
overlap, and they should change according to scale, so I guess that could be
done by software. PostGIS could generate a view using the centroid for
proportional symbols using a point a softwares need to take care of the
representation.

George

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Martin Davis <mbdavis at refractions.net>wrote:

> Good point about the need for even distribution of the points. That seems
> like a whole lot harder to code than simply randomly placing points in a
> polygon.  Does anyone have any pointers to algorithms for producing this
> effect?
>
> George Silva wrote:
>
>> The really big problem with dot density is that dots can overlap
>> themselves,
>> masking the real number, so if anything will be developed in this area,
>> the
>> points should be
>>
>> A) evenly distributed
>> or
>> B) randomly distributed, but with some sort of "colision" tests, so there
>> is
>> no or little overlap.
>>
>> This is a interesting idea, especially if we could make a materialized
>> view
>> with those points, which could be added to GIS software for presentation.
>>
>> George
>>
>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Sufficool, Stanley <
>> ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov> wrote:
>>

>>> Looks nasty, but it might work:
>>>
>>> select
>>> st_line_interpolate_point(
>>>       st_intersection(
>>>               the_geom,
>>>               st_makeline(
>>>                       st_pointn(st_exteriorring(the_geom), (rand1.rand *
>>> st_npoints(st_exteriorring(the_geom)))::int),
>>>                       st_pointn(st_exteriorring(the_geom), (rand2.rand *
>>> st_npoints(st_exteriorring(the_geom)))::int)
>>>               )
>>>       )
>>>       ,rand3.rand
>>> )
>>> from insert_your_table_name_here,
>>> (select random() as rand, generate_series(1,1000) as point_number) as
>>> rand1
>>> JOIN (select random() as rand, generate_series(1,1000) as point_number)
>>> as

George R. C. Silva

Desenvolvimento em GIS
http://blog.geoprocessamento.net