[postgis-users] getting past the 254 character limit of .DBFs

David Benjamin Lang Lang davidlang at trentu.ca
Fri May 7 12:35:15 PDT 2010

I'm trying to join a table to a shapefile.  This table has three or four columns that are longer than the 254 character limit, so when I convert the table into a .DBF I lose a large portion of my data.  I had hoped to use pgsql2shp as a work-around but that didn't work.

My end product will eventually be displayed online, so I'm thinking that I could connect to the data using the webpage rather than the map, and use the map as the method for linking the two, but I'd rather not have to make each of the offending cells contain a refence to another table.

Aside from postgres and postgis I've been using ArcMap and ArcCatalog along with Excel.

Any help is appreciated.
David