[postgis-users] select only points inside a polygon

Nicola Zandonà nick.zando at gmail.com
Sat May 8 09:22:28 PDT 2010

Hi All, i'm a newbie with postgis and probably this is an easy question.

I have 2 tables, one with a point geometry attribute called tableA,
and the other one with a polygon and multi-polygon geometry attribute,
called tableB.

I need to retrieve only those points inside a particular geometry
called 1 in the second table, so i try something like:

SELECT point
FROM tableA a, tableB b
WHERE ST_Contains(b.the_geom, a.the_geom)
AND b.id = '1';

but no result is returned.
Is there something wrong with that query? Maybe the use of ST_Contains?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tnx in advance.

Nick.